Friday, June 28, 2002

High school

Last fall I attended the 20th anniversary reunion of my high school graduating class. The reunion was actually fun. I reconnected with some old friends and enjoyed seeing how people turned out and hearing what they were doing with their lives. It made me think about what life was like back at Stuyvesant High School in the late 1970s and early 1980s. The short answer is that life at Stuy was not bad, especially when I consider my experience there in light of all the teenage depression and existential angst I was feeling at the time. I was by no means a member of the in-crowd, but I did not feel ostracized or actively disdained. Stuyvesant stood in stark contrast to junior high school in this regard: The students were generally respectful of each other. That, in itself, is remarkable, I think

Stuyvesant was not all fun, but it was a far cry from the prison-like atmosphere of junior high school.

No comments: