Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Listening

Complete albums I have listened to recently:

  • 20 January: Aja by Steely Dan: This album was my initiation to jazz. I was thirteen years old when this album came out and I was quite taken with it. My taste in music prior to that was limited to the usual suspects of a child of the 1970s: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, etc. Although I would not describe Steely Dan as jazz per se, this album is their most jazz-tinged effort and it got me interested in jazz. From there to Miles Davis was only a matter of time.

  • 21 January: Court and Spark by Joni Mitchell: This album is an old standby. I have listened to it hundreds of times over the years and it retains much of its appeal despite its familiarity. I even prefer it to Blue in many ways, although I would not want to do without either one.

  • 22 January: Late for the Sky by Jackson Browne: This is one of the great albums about relationships, memories, and regrets. I don't know of many better songs about the end of a relationship than the title track. And I don't know of many better songs about remembering a past love than Fountain of Sorrow.

  • 23 January: In Reverse by Matthew Sweet: Unlike the three albums listed above, this album is NOT from the mid-1970s. This is my favorite Matthew Sweet album. Girlfriend is generally regarded as his best work, and it is a fine album, but I prefer In Reverse.



I have listened to a number of other songs over the past fews days (that is what the shuffle feature on the iPod is good for, after all), but these are the only complete albums on my "Recently Played" list.


2 comments:

timesnewroman said...

I'm not at all familiar with Matthew Sweet, but the others are all classics, so I'll have to look up Matthew!

Richard said...

Matthew Sweet is something of a throwback to the 1960s in his sound. I would say he was influenced by the Beatles, the Beach Boys, Neil Young, and Bob Dylan, among others. He and Susanna Hoffs (of the Bangles) put out an album of covers of 1960s songs last year.