- an automobile accident that nearly crippled me
- four subsequent months in a wheelchair
- six months of physical therapy
- the final illness, slow decline, dementia, and death of my mother
- and the long, slow, painful end of my marriage after fourteen years together
Each of these experiences was daunting, but despite the pain and trauma of both the injuries from the automobile accident and the very painful last few months of my mother's life, neither one of those experiences comes close to the pain and difficulty of my marriage ending slowly over the past year. This has been (and continues to be) the most painful thing I have ever experienced, especially over the past several weeks.